Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Cougars and bears, oh my!!

We live at the base of Mt. Seymour in North Vancouver. Right smack in bear country.

In all the years (almost 14) we have lived in this neighbourhood, until now, I hadn't heard of a local cougar sighting. Bears, yes, but cougars?!? Cougars make me nervous, because they are cats. They are unpredictable, stealthy, and they can pounce and do a lot of harm to little people.

Today, while I was waiting to meet Aidan at his classroom, our neighbour excitedly told me that she had come within 2m of a big black bear, at the top of our street, while she was walking to school to meet her daughter! We have beautiful wooded trails interlaced among the houses in our neighbourhood. We use these trails to get to and from Aidan's and Aaron's schools.

We'll just have to keep alert and prepared to slowly back away if we meet a black bear. If we meet a cougar, well, that cat will have to deal with me!

No comments:

Post a Comment