Wednesday, October 19, 2011

That was my best "r," ever!

Aidan and I are at the library, in my first attempt to work on homework away from family distractions. At home, a 10-minute assignment can take up to two hours, as Aidan wafts away on various tangents.

We are beginning with a blank two-sided form containing 4 French verbs to be conjugated into présent and passé composé tenses. Usually, his verb sheet comes home, partially-completed, with a few jottings in the margins. I'm hoping we'll have time to get through more than just this sheet in the 45 minutes I've set aside for spending in the library.

Three minutes in, and he's completed all the présent forms for "respecter," and the first two forms of passé composé. At "Il a respecté," he stops and, in a loud whisper, remarks, "Whoa! That was my best "r" ever! Look, Mom! Have you ever seen such a beautiful "r?" And he was off ... into the land of forming the perfect printed letter. I've been encouraging him to print, up-to-down, rather than his habitual down-to-up. Now, it's more common for him to begin letter formation from the top, but he still writes, "i," starting from the bottom line.

He showed me how he likes to draw d's and b's, starting with a straight line, then he forms a precise intersection of the line and the partial circle, to complete the letter. I have to admit, it's a really nice-looking "d." Then, he showed me how the perfect "z" actually has a smaller top horizontal line than the bottom, and it needs to have a perfectly diagonal line joining them. He explained, if he were teaching kids to print this letter, he might show them that they could print an "N," then turn it on its side to become a "z." But he pointed out that some kids might get tricked into drawing an "n" (in lower-case) by mistake, and when they turn that letter to its side, it will look nothing like a "z!"

For the letter, "s," he likes to draw a smaller curve for the top, with a bigger curve on the bottom. And again, there's no disputing his carefully drawn, "s," is nothing short of perfect.

He circles his best work, individual letters on the page, and speculates if Mme. ever wonders about all his "scribbling."


Next, he proceeds to circle all the lower-case u's that were pre-printed on the page, and points out that they're not right. They don't have the vertical line that comes down on the right side. I hadn't noticed this detail before, but explained to Aidan that it's only a different font. He asked, "What's a font?" and a feeling of dread welled up inside me as I imagined yet another tangent to veer us away from the verb conjugation. I gave him a quick answer that it's just a "style of lettering," and encouraged him to get back to conjugating "heurter," verb #2.

So, despite my repeated efforts to bring him back to writing out his verbs, we've managed to be here nearly an hour and only completed two "ER" verbs. They're all "ER" verbs this week. Nothing special or irregular.

Bewildering as this may be, this is all we've completed tonight. About 15 minutes ago, he stopped altogether and stared forward. His body slumped into his chair, and he told me he just wants to look for a book. I offered to look for one for him, if he tells me what he has in mind, and he said, "I don't know what I want, yet. I won't know until I see it."

3 comments:

  1. We needed to make a quick stop at Safeway for some lunch foods. As we entered the store, I said, "We forgot to practice your spelling words." Aidan responded, "Oh, no! ... Well, at least I can look at them in the morning with a full brain, instead of this dull, tired brain."

    He definitely seems to be a morning person. I remember, on our sailing trip, he was typically the first one up, hanging out on deck or on the boom, taking in the morning peace and tranquility.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tired brains at the end of the day . . . I'm sure that's why lots of kids struggle with homework! I use to set my alarm early on some mornings in HS so that I could get up and do my MATH homework . .. I could think so much better then..... I'm definitely a Morning Person! Perhaps little chunks of time would work."Just work for 15 minutes (or even 10) and then take a break" (limit that too) then return for another 10 or so minutes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Katie. I'll give that a try.

    I remember when Austin used to resist doing homework. I could be in a battle with him for 45 minutes and get nowhere, but when I told him I was setting the timer for 10 minutes, suddenly, he would complete a whole page of work!

    Skye thinks we may also be dealing with the fact that there are, simply, other things that Aidan would rather be doing. If I time-box the homework into shorter chunks, perhaps he'll be more willing to produce, knowing he'll soon be free to return to an activity he loves?

    ReplyDelete